Cecil Parkinson RIP

Lord Cecil Parkinson has died of cancer at the age of 94.

He was MP for many years for the Hertsmere constituency, which at that time included part of the City and District of St Albans where I grew up and was a councillor towards the end of his time in politics. The Hertsmere constituency Conservatives also shared an office with the St Albans Conservative Association so the two associations inevitably had quite a bit to do with each other.

I did not know Cecil Parkinson well, though I did know people extremely well who knew him equally well and I remember how well, to a man and woman, they all thought of him. I also remember hearing him speak and talk to people at various formal and informal occasions, the clearest memory being of the occasion when he opened a nursing home in what had once been the Bishop's Palace in St Albans.

I remember that he was superb at explaining policies and programmes in a clear, concise, accessible and convincing way. I also remember that he was an extremely courteous and charming man.

Rest in Peace

Comments

Chris Whiteside said…
Usual Obit rules apply to this post.

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020