Sunday music spot: a Song for Corbyn ...

The "Matter Patter Song" from the Gilbert and Sullivan opera "Ruddigore" (first line "My eyes are fully open to my awful situation") seems rather appropriate for the new leader of the Labour party after a rather difficult week (particularly as it also includes lines like "If I were not a little mad and generally silly.")

It has been stolen and adapted for various other purposes including other Gilbert and Sullivan Operas but here is the original:



This is how it appeared as "borrowed" for the Kevin Kline film version of "The Pirates of Penzance" (blink and you'll miss it but Angela Lansbury actually admits at one point that the song actually comes from Ruddigore)



And if "Spitting Image" were still in business I am sure they could update their eighties version featuring Neil Kinnock with lines like

"My economic policy's as mad as any hatter
But I'll never be elected so it really doesn't matter.2

Come on Newzoids, you can do a version of this for Jeremy Corbyn ...


Comments

Jim said…
With your vast spitting image knowledge, do you remember an episode where by there was a song at the end, it was basically God singing a song which went "Oops, sorry, I messed it up again" the episode ended with someone asking "who's idea was this poll tax anyway?" then an echo type voice saying - SORRY.

it was a classic one i remember and I cant seem to find it anywhere.
Jim said…
ahhhh, thanks to asking the same question I found it, the answer lied in my Inability to spell the full word Whoops. There we go as God would say, sorry
Chris Whiteside said…
Yes, that was amusing. Just as well they weren't catholics of Muslims, they'd probably have been excommunicated or had a Fatwa slapped on them ...

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020