Charles Bloxham R.I.P.

Most people reading this will never have heard of Charles Bloxham, who died yesterday at the age of 94, but hundreds of former pupils of my old school will remember him. He was a master at Saint Albans School for 43 years, either side of World War II, latterly as Head of Lower School. During the war he commanded a troop of medium artillery against the Japanese in the Far East.

By an extraordinary coincidence, I was reminded of Charles earlier this evening: I stepped through my front door to be handed the telephone, and spoke to one of my colleagues who was extremely cross, and justifiably so, about a dishonest letter from another political party which a member of her family had received. The conversation reminded me about a very powerful comment which Charles Bloxham had made about telling the truth nearly forty years ago and which has been an influence on me ever since. Five minutes after putting the phone down I went to my desk to check my emails, and the first one I saw was about his death.

Charles was a very charming and compassionate man, and he was also a man of massive integrity, in which he would have stood out in any generation but particularly so in the present age.

Rest in Peace.

Comments

Tim said…
Here, here ! A truly wonderful, warm, compassionate human being with a wicked sense of humour.

Remember his best observation ?

"Now don't go expecting life to be fair, cos it ent!"
Chris Whiteside said…
Yes, you're right. I could hear his voice saying that as I read your post.
Ian Lawson-Smith (OA 1983) said…
I agree - he's definately one of the masters I remember most. A lovely man.
The thing that always comes to mind is being called a "drongo". I never did find out what that was :)
What Tim said. I've never forgotten that one either (and the way he looked at us over the top of his glasses as he said it). Charles Bloxham was a very kind man.
Chris Whiteside said…
Charles always wanted the boys he taught to be confident and happy without becoming full of themselves or arrogant.

If someone was upset he could be very supportive indeed: if someone got above themselves he could cut you down to size in a hurry.

He said to me once that he spent half his time building boys up and the other half knocking them down, and it was true.
Colin Jackson said…
He was a fine man who taught me much. I can still hear his voice explaining how to remember the term 'meander'.

BTW 'drongo' is an Australian term meaning fool. I wonde if he ever went there?

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020