The wonders of modern technology ...

This week I bought a set of Microsoft Office for several of my home computers (the licence allows me to use it on up to three non-business machines.)

I actually had to use the disc on one of the computers, the others had come with Office pre-installed so I could enable the function by typing in the 25 digit code.

Except that wasn't the end of it. It was also necessary to activate an installation process. One of the PCs was on the net, the other two were not, so I had to use the phone installation.

In favour - there was an automated activation system which is available 24/7 on a toll-free number, and it did have checking options available to warn if you have mis-typed something, and to allow you to listen to a set of numbers more than once.

Against - to activate the software on each PC I had to first key nine groups of six numbers (54 in all) into my telephone and then listen to the phone as it gave me seven groups of six numbers (42 in all) to type into each computer.

I cannot help wondering if anti-piracy procedures of this nature will not be a bigger handicap to many potential genuine users than they are to some hackers and software pirates.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This MS Activation procedure has been with us for many years now I am surprised one as well versed as yourself wasn't already aware of it.
The funniest thing is that you actually bought Microsoft Office when there are perfectly adequate alternatives available, like Open Office it's free.
Chris Whiteside said…
Having changed over my computers, I found that the old version of Office dating back to the 90's which pre-dated this activation procedure and had served me well for many years, could not be installed easily on my new PCs. I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade.

I don't pretend to be a great expert on the merits of different software packages and note what you say about alternatives with interest.
Anonymous said…
If Government, local and national, used the alternatives to MS Office a considerable sum of taxpayers money could be saved.
Chris Whiteside said…
You almost certainly have a point - it is rarely a good thing for the ultimate customer, e.g. taxpayers, if one suppliers gets too dominant.

Probably a variation on the old "play it safe" mentality, or to paraphrase a common saying, "Nobody ever got fired for buying Microsoft."

In the private sector someone might occasionally reply "And nobody ever got promoted for doing so either." But in the public sector ...

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020