Sunday spot - on chauvinism

The following quote from a book on (primarily male) chauvinism was drawn to my attention recently.

"A chauvinist believes that 'Where you go, I will go' was said by a woman to a man."

I suggest a more balanced version of that statement might read something like this:

"A male chauvinist, or someone who is more familiar with the history and customs of Ancient Rome than with the Bible, believes that 'Where you go, I will go' was said by a woman to a man.

"A female chauvinist, or someone whose knowledge of the bible is superior to her knowledge of Ancient Rome, believes that 'Where you go, I will go' was said by one woman to another.

"A well informed person knows that both are correct."

Postscript

I was asked for the source on these.

1) The promise "Ubi tu Gaius, ego gaia" (Where you go, I will go) was the wedding vow which brides in Ancient Rome made to their grooms.

2) In the bible, after both their husbands had died, the Moabite woman Ruth made the same promise to her Jewish mother-in-law Naomi. Ruth returned with Naomi to Israel where she married a noble called Boaz and became the great-grandmother of David.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nick Herbert on his visit to flood hit areas of Cumbria

Quotes of the day 19th August 2020

Quote of the day 24th July 2020